Being a single mom is incredibly difficult. You have to juggle parenting, appointments, housework, and usually a full-time job. Finding extra income can ease some of the financial burden and provide more opportunities for your family.
Side hustles are an excellent way for single moms to leverage their skills for additional income on a flexible schedule. With some creativity and effort, these gigs can even grow into a full-time business.
This article will explore the top 10 side hustle ideas that are perfect for single moms in 2024. We’ll cover everything from easy online jobs to creative small business ventures.
- Side hustles provide single moms with extra income potential that fits around parenting duties and other commitments. Look at nights, weekends, and school hours for productivity.
- Build skills in online work platforms, niche crafts, childcare, writing, virtual assistance, and more based on individual passions and expertise.
- Leverage communities like Facebook Groups to network, get business ideas, and find clients as a single mom entrepreneur.
- Start small by doing online surveys or occasional rideshare driving, then reinvest profits to build towards full-time self-employment!
The flexibility, scalability and unlimited income potential of side hustles makes them the ideal strategy for single moms to improve finances and build a legacy.
Table of Contents
Why Side Hustles Work Well for Single Moms
Before jumping into the list, let’s look at why side hustles make sense for single mom entrepreneurs:
- You control the hours – Side hustles allow moms to work during nap times, evenings, or whenever it suits their schedule. This flexibility is priceless.
- Leverage existing skills – Every mom has unique skills and passions that can translate into income. Tap into these or build expertise in high-demand areas.
- Minimize startup costs – Many side hustles require little upfront investment, making it possible to test ideas without much risk.
- Unlimited growth potential – Start small while your kids are young, then scale up the business as they get older. The possibilities are endless.
- Be your own boss – Side hustles allow moms to maintain control over their time and priorities instead of being at the mercy of an employer.
This freedom and flexibility is why side hustles are often the ideal income solution for single moms.
Now let’s explore some of the best and most lucrative options to consider in 2024.
1. Get Paid for Online Surveys
Online surveys through platforms like Swagbucks, Survey Junkie, Vindale Research and more have become extremely popular ways for single moms to make extra money from home.
You simply share your opinions, feedback, and insights on various products and services by taking surveys. For each one you complete, you earn cash rewards that can be redeemed for gift cards or PayPal cash.
- Quick payout – Cash out earnings whenever you hit the minimum threshold.
- Easy to fit around your schedule – Do surveys whenever you have spare time.
- Reputable sites – Established survey panels with millions of users.
This hassle-free gig can easily bring in $100-200 per month for less than 10 hours of work if you use multiple survey panels.
While online surveys may not replace a full income, they provide an easy way to generate extra cash without ever leaving your home.
2. Rent Out Your Extra Space
Do you have an unused guest room, garage, or storage area? Why not earn some money by renting out your extra space?
Platforms like Airbnb, RVshare and Neighbor make this side hustle simple. You list your available spaces along with rates and availability. Then sit back while the bookings roll in!
Renting out extra rooms or your backyard cottage via Airbnb enables single moms to control income levels based on how often they want to host guests.
With Neighbor and other storage rental sites, you earn a monthly fee for renting out parking spots, attics, basements, or sheds. Sit back and collect passive income!
- Entirely remote management – Manage all bookings, scheduling and payments online.
- Lucrative earnings potential – Hosts typically earn 4 per month via Airbnb.
- Minimal daily involvement – Spend just a couple hours per month coordinating logistics.
As long as you carefully screen potential renters, this hands-off approach can generate serious money with little ongoing effort.
3. Freelance Your Skills Online
In the digital age, moms can put their skills to use from anywhere thanks to freelance platforms. Sites like Fiverr, Upwork and FlexJobs connect you with clients needing writers, designers, programmers, assistants, and more.
The process is simple:
- Create a profile showcasing your expertise.
- Browse open freelance gigs and projects.
- Submit proposals to be hired for those you qualify for.
- Complete contracted work by the deadline.
- Get paid for your services!
This allows single moms to tap into lucrative skills like:
- Writing & editing
- Graphic design
- Virtual assistance
- Web development
- and much more!
Freelance platforms provide remote work flexibility, access to clients globally, and opportunities to build your rates over time. This makes them an ideal way for single moms to secure work from home jobs aligned with their abilities.
4. Teach English Online
Have strong written and verbal English skills? Why not get paid to tutor students learning English online?
Popular platforms like VIPKid, Magic Ears, DaDaABC and Qkids enable moms to set their own schedules while earning up to $22 per hour teaching English remotely.
You’ll work one-on-one with students in China practicing conversational English over video chat. Most companies require at least a bachelor’s degree and eligibility to work in the US or Canada.
Benefits for single moms include:
- Make your own schedule – Open slots align with your availability.
- Paid training – Get oriented to the platform before your first class.
- Flexible format – Teach from anywhere with internet access!
- Engaging sessions – Lessons are fun and energetic 25 minute sessions.
This gig allows you to leverage your language skills for great pay while working around your parenting duties.
5. Drive for Uber, Lyft or Other Ride Shares
Driving for a ride sharing platform like Uber or Lyft enables single moms to control their hours and earnings. You drive whenever it fits your schedule, then collect commission from ride fares via the app.
While rideshare driving has its challenges, the positive attributes make it worthwhile for single parents needing schedule flexibility.
- Work on your own time – Login to drive whenever you have availability.
- No boss to report to – You’re in charge as an independent contractor.
- Earn over $20/hour – Average hourly wage after deducting vehicle expenses.
- Cash out instantly – Earnings are deposited to your account daily.
This gig allows moms to offset childcare costs through occasional driving gigs while kids are at school or with a sitter. The extra income can really come in handy!
6. Get Paid to Walk Dogs
For animal lovers, getting paid to walk dogs locally can be an ideal and fulfilling side hustle! Sites like Rover and Wag connect pet owners with dog walkers and sitters needing care while at work or on vacation.
After setting your rates and availability, you get matched with client requests in your neighbourhood. Walks typically pay $15-25 per 30 minutes. With just a few walks per day, this generates $200-300 a week as a nice added income stream for single moms.
Dog walking offers major perks:
- Enjoy fresh air and exercise – Take pups on fun outdoor adventures!
- Flexible schedule – Set your own hours each week.
- Low barriers to entry¬† – Little upfront investment needed.
- Rewarding work – Play with pets while getting paid!
For moms who prefer furry friends over humans, dog walking is a dream side hustle!
7. Transcribe Audio Files
Do you type fast and have great attention to detail? Consider applying for online transcription jobs that allow you to work from home.
Sites like Rev, GoTranscript and Scribie hire home-based transcriptionists to listen to audio recordings and convert them into text documents. Common requests range from podcast episodes to interviews to medical dictations.
Transcription rates vary based on audio quality and required turnaround time, but range from $7 for a 15-minute general file up to $20/hour for specialized transcriptions.
Benefits for single moms include:
- Flexible scheduling – Choose files based on your availability.
- Specialized experience – Expand skills in legal, medical or tech transcription
- Reasonable income – Earn $600-1000+ monthly.
If you’re a quick and accurate typist, transcription provides reliable work you can fit around your family time.
8. Turn DIY Creations Into Cash
Crafty moms can tap into the booming handmade marketplace to sell homemade products online for profit. Sites like Etsy, Amazon Handmade and Craftsy provide built-
in storefronts, payment processing, and exposure to buyers seeking specialty crafts, vintage goods, artwork, and more from independent makers.
Some popular handmade products for single moms to consider selling include:
- Custom home décor signs
- T-shirt screen printing
- Hand-poured soy candles
- Upcycled & repurposed furniture
- Vintage jewelry & clothing
- Paper flowers
- Hand-knitted baby items
- Party decorations like banners & signs
The DIY movement makes it possible to turn creativity into income, even without business experience. As long as you enjoy making crafts and have an eye for design, selling online could replace an hourly job.
Benefits for single mom sellers include:
- Low startup costs – Fund with existing craft materials before reinvesting profit.
- Convenient production – Craft during nap times or after bedtime.
- Satisfaction from creativity – Make money doing what you love!
Tap into this nearly $5 billion market to transform artistic talents into sales.
9. Offer Childcare Services
What better side gig for a single mom than caring for other children? You can provide much-needed childcare support for busy parents in your community while earning extra income.
Options range from mother’s helper roles to full-day babysitting to operating licensed home daycares depending on your space, time and qualifications.
Average hourly rates range from $15-25 per hour depending on number of kids, ages and duties. This means you could easily make $1000-1500 a month for part-time care.
Benefits of childcare side hustles:
- You set the work hours – Align with your availability during school days.
- Your kids have playmates! Social interaction can make days more fun.
- Valuable service provided – Help overburdened parents in need.
Additionally, caring for other kids provides built-in friends and interaction for your own children.
Utilize your parenting expertise to offer childcare services that benefit the whole community’s families.
10. Plan and Coordinate Kids’ Parties
With the rise of Pinterest and Instagram, parents are spending more on birthday parties with unique themes, over-the-top decorations, entertainment, favors, food, and more.
Offer your event planning skills to orchestrate spectacular celebrations for neighborhood kids!
Services to provide include:
- Party theme ideation & design
- Venue scouting & reservation
- Decorations, props & signage
- Catering coordination
- Entertainment booking (magician, characters, etc.)
- Favor bags stuffing
- Day-of setup & oversight
Rates start around $50 per hour or more depending on services provided. Promote yourself on community Facebook Groups, local parenting forums like Peanut, and old-fashioned word of mouth.
This fun business aligns perfectly with a single mom’s schedule, allowing you to work evenings and weekends when most events occur.
Tap into the evergreen demand for kids’ birthday parties and coming of age celebrations year-round!
Ready to Start Your Side Hustle?
Choosing a side hustle that fits your schedule and passion takes some trial and error.
The opportunities are endless whether you enjoy caring for kids, writing online content, designing graphics, making crafts, planning events or learning new technology skills.
The key is to start small and don’t be afraid to try a few options before settling into the right niche. Some hustles may thrive into real businesses, while others fizzle out.
Experiment until you create a portfolio of gigs providing the income levels, fulfillment and work-life balance you’re seeking.
You’ve got this mama! With some creative thinking outside of the 9 to 5 job box, you can achieve financial goals on your own terms as a single mom entrepreneur.